This resource will introduce participants to the key concepts and functions of the moving image camera.
It will explore the behaviour of video cameras and how they manage the recording of light (images), and what technologies and techniques need to be understood in order to manually operate a camera for best effect.
This resource guids you through BOTH the technical aspects of camera usage, movement, moutning and theory, as well as introducing the student to elements of subjective (or motivated) camera, that is crucial in fictional / drama camera.
1. Pathway of Light | Lens & Focus
2. Pathway of Light | The IRIS & APERTURE
3. Pathway of Light |Shutter
4. Pathway of Light |Camera sensors & Depth
5. Pathway of Light |Viewfinders & Monitors
6. Recording Light |Neutral Density
7. Recording Light |Colour Balance
8. Recording Light |Exposure Noise & Gain
9. Recording Light |Gamma & Contrast
10. Camera Audio Control | MIC & LINE levels
11. Recording formats | Film, Tape & Tapeless
12. Camera Handling | Getting a GRIP
13. The Grammar of Camera | Composition
14. The Grammar of Camera | Camera Angles
15. The Grammar of Camera | Movement
16. Camera Care | Cleaning, sensors & lenses
17. Summative Assessment